The town of Headland, located in Henry County, was established in 1871. The town was originally called "Head's Land,"
after Mr. James Joshua Head who laid the public square and sectioned off town lots. It was renamed later after
the U.S. Postal Department opened an office downtown. In 1880, an Abbeville resident named Dr Wyatt Oatts purchased
the entire town and became the official promoter and developer of the area.
In 1884 the town incorporated and Dr. Oatts was elected as the first Mayor and served for eight terms.
The first railroad track was laid in 1893 near the site of the Headland Depot. As history reveals, the area
became a thriving place of agricultural development. The first Agricultural Experiment Farm Sub-Station in
the State of Alabama was located to Headland in 1928. Currently, it is the largest town in Henry County and the
oldest along the southeastern section of the state known as the "Wiregrass".
The township of Headland, located nine miles from the City of Dothan, is situated in the heart of the cotton
and peanut producing area. Every year the Wiregrass Area honors the rich agricultural heritage with several celebrations,
which take place at harvest time. The celebrations begin each year when the town celebrates with their own
"Harvest Day Festival". In November, the City of Dothan, also known as the "Peanut Capital of the World", honors
the peanut producers with an event known as The National Peanut Festival. This festival, which was inaugurated
in 1938, includes a pageant, parade, livestock shows and several commercial events.