banner
Comyn (DeLeon), TX

Comyn, Texas, is deep in the heart of Texas. The frontier settlement was in a clearing hacked out of a brush-covered stretch of sandy soil and led a sleepy life until the coming of the Houston and Central Texas Railway in 1880. A depot was built in Theney, but it was called Comyn to honor an engineer of the project and in 1909 the Post Office Department arrived and made Comyn the official designation.

The railroad brought nesters from the south, and they came with plows and cottonseed, but the boll weevil migrated along with them and made cotton production a chancy venture. In short order, peanuts became the crop of choice to the farmers.

Other than the Golden Peanut Company plant and a deserted oil tank farm, signs of the town of Comyn no longer exist. The only remaining evidence that a town once stood there is a historical marker.

Comyn (DeLeon), TX